Post-graduate fellowships support a range of opportunities, including teaching, research, and graduate school.
Boren Fellowships – Provide up to $25,000 to U.S. graduate students to add an important international and language component to their graduate education through specialization in area study, language study, or increased language proficiency.
DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service - The Education Undergraduate Scholarship is a flexible scholarship program which offers short-term scholarships for participation in summer study abroad, internships, senior thesis research or summer courses at German universities and long-term scholarships for semester or year study abroad.
♦ Fulbright US Student Program – Grants to recent US undergraduates for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs.The Cal Poly International Center is pleased to provide assistance to current students and recent graduates who are applying for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Learn more about the Fulbright US Student Program information below.
♦ Gates Cambridge Scholarship – Established in October 2000, this program offers ~80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
♦ George J. Mitchell Scholarship – Named to honor former US Senator George Mitchell's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, the program funds up to 12 scholars (between the ages of 18 and 30) for one academic year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
♦ Harry S. Truman Scholarships – The prestigious Truman Scholarship provides funding to students pursuing graduate degrees in public service fields. Students must be college juniors at the time of selection.
♦ Marshall Scholarships – This prestigious award supports young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Only 50 students are chosen annually and the award covers university fees, cost of living expenses, annual book grant, thesis grant, research and daily travel grants, fares to and from the United States.
♦ Rhodes Scholarship – The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest and one of the most celebrated international fellowship awards in the world. It provides full financial support for 32 Rhodes Scholars to pursue a degree or degrees at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.
Rotary International Global Grants – Funding for graduate-level studies, offered through district and country organizations.
Schwarzman Scholars – The program was created to respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st century and offers a fully-funded, one-year master’s degree and leadership program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China.
♦ Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation – Among the programs offered by the Woodrow Wilson Foundation are Fellowships for Young Leaders (under the age of 24) and Fellowships for Graduate Students.
♦ Student interested in these programs should begin researching the process and preparing well before their senior year at Cal Poly.
Fulbright U.S. Student Program
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs.
The Cal Poly International Center is pleased to provide assistance to current students and recent graduates who are applying for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.
CAMPUS DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 15, 2023 (for 2024-25 Application Cycle)
Cal Poly students who will still be enrolled in their degree program at the time of application are required to meet the Cal Poly campus deadline of September 15 (for submission of all materials through the Fulbright online application).
- Alumni of Cal Poly who graduated within the past three years are also welcome to apply through Cal Poly unless they have subsequently matriculated at another institution of higher education. Recent graduates who wish to apply through Cal Poly are required to meet the campus deadline of September 15 (for submission of all materials through the Fulbright online application). Conversely, Cal Poly graduates may apply 'at large' independently, in which case they would need to meet the national deadline in October.
- One to two weeks after the campus deadline (September 15), applicants will attend a 30-minute virtual interview with the campus Fulbright committee. At this interview, students will have the opportunity to discuss their project with the committee, and receive input on how to further strengthen their application components before re-submitting their online application by the national deadline (October).
FULBRIGHT ADVISING SESSIONS
The International Center holds Fulbright Advising Sessions each spring. Interested students are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions. If you are unable to attend or are seeking information after spring quarter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment with a Fulbright Program Advisor.Upcoming Fulbright Advising Sessions:
- Thurs, April 20, 2023 / 11:10am-12:00pm / Zoom Link / Meeting ID 840 7899 1985
- Thurs, May 11, 2023 / 11:10am-12:00pm / Zoom Link / Meeting ID 840 7899 1985
- Tues, May 23, 2023 / 11:10am-12:00pm / Zoom Link / Meeting ID 840 7899 1985
View the Fulbright Advising Flyer and presentation slides.
FULBRIGHT PROGRAM ADVISORS
Cari Vanderkar, PhD
Assistant Vice Provost, International Programs
Fulbright U.S. Student Program - Research Grantee to the Czech Republic (Anthropology, 1997)
Sara Otis, MA, MPP
Study Abroad Coordinator
Fulbright U.S. Student Program - Research Grantee to the Dominican Republic (Linguistics, 2005)
RECOMMENDED FULBRIGHT RESOURCES
- Fulbright U.S. Student Program website
- Fulbright Timeline for Cal Poly Students
- Fulbright Canada Killam Undergraduate Fellowships for Americans
- Cal Poly SLO institution page, Fulbright website
Finding Graduate Programs Abroad
The links below to read further about graduate programs abroad and kick-start your international graduate school search:
- The British Council, Study in the UK
- DiversityAbroad, Find Graduate Programs Abroad
- International Graduate Programs (GradSchools.com)
- GoOverseas: Graduate Studies