Programs : Brochure
- Program Terms:
This scholarship is named after William Martinez, co-founder of the Cal Poly in Spain study abroad program. Since William Martinez (also known as Memo) became involved with the Cal Poly in Spain program, his heart was always focused on the students. He wanted them to explore the world outside of San Luis Obispo, to expand their parameters, to understand each other. As a child, Memo lived in different environments: urban and rural, rich and poor, English and Spanish, Mexico and California. He understood the important of a global perspective and he believed students could change their lives by changing their surroundings and the people they interacted with.
- Open to all majors
- Must have submitted a FAFSA application for the upcoming year
- Accepted to the Cal Poly in Spain- Fall program for upcoming year
- Full-time enrollment at Cal Poly the term prior to going on Cal Poly in Spain program
- Preference will be given to students with highest GPA
How to Apply
- From your My Cal Poly Portal apps, click 'Cal Poly Scholarships.'
- Complete the General Scholarship Application, being sure to answer the question "Do you plan on participating in a study abroad program in the upcoming year" with an answer of "Yes." This will direct you to answer supplemental scholarship questions related to study abroad scholarships after you complete the general scholarship application.
- Complete the General and Study Abroad scholarship applications. Even though some fields are not marked as required, you are encouraged to complete the application in its entirety in order to be considered for the widest range of scholarships. Be sure to click 'Save and Keep Editing' frequently.
- Your eligibility for scholarships will be based on your answers to the questions in both the General and Study Abroad scholarship application.
- When you compose your scholarship essay, be sure to discuss how you specifically are a good candidate for this particular award.
Notification of award
All students will be notified via email about the outcome of the scholarship award no later than four weeks after the scholarship deadline.
Scholarship recipients will be asked to participate in the outreach and pre-departure activities for the Cal Poly in Spain program upon their return to Cal Poly.
Scholarship Application Deadline
Scholarship Award Amount