The National Student Exchange is a not-for-profit consortium of nearly 200 accredited, baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities in the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Through NSE, these member institutions provide exchange opportunities for the multitude of undergraduate students for whom an overseas experience is not appropriate, comfortable or affordable.
NSE consortium schools are found in almost all 50 states including various locations within the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
For more information about these host institutions, visit NSE website
NSE expands course and program offerings by using the resources of nearly 200 campuses across the US and Canada. NSE offers options for students who may be interested in trying out studying away closer to home and are seeking new academic, cultural and personal experiences to enhance their undergraduate education. Students can exchange for a single term or a full academic year. Sixty-five percent of NSE students exchange for a full academic year offering them a full immersion opportunity at their host environment.
For more information regarding the consortium schools, to search for unique and notable academic programs, and to search by Major fields, visit http://nse.org/exchange/learn.asp
You will earn transfer credit on this program.
You are highly encouraged to get your Major, Minor and GE courses pre-approved prior to applying to this program.
: Provide the course descriptions to your Academic Advising Center/Faculty Advisor to determine the course equivalencies and how credits will transfer back. You are highly encouraged to consult with their academic advisor/faculty advisor to complete any necessary paperwork prior to applying/departure.
: Consult with the Minor Department to discuss the best way to seek course pre-approvals.
Credit Transfer of GE Courses
: Pick up the GE Course Substitution for Study Abroad form at the Cal Poly International Center (Building 52- Room E32). Please provide the course descriptions of the GE courses you wish to have approved when submitting the form. Allow four to six weeks to hear back about substitution approvals. You will hear back about your GE petitions with an email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org
To review the NSE member campus profiles and the available university catalogs, visit the NSE website
This program is open to students in all Majors.
- Minimum GPA 2.5
- Minimum sophomore standing
- Minimum of two years college level French (Quebec schools) or Spanish (Puerto Rico schools). No language requirement for U.S. mainland
- Completed one term of full-time attendance at an NSE member campus prior to submitting an application
- Home and host campuses may place a higher GPA and/or additional requirements for exchange participation
- Not actively on academic probation
- Good disciplinary standing
- Eligibility requirements are applicable at the time of application and at the completion of the term prior to your exchange
How to Apply
- Complete Cal Poly International Center Application
- February 22nd application deadline
- Submit all application materials through the Terra Dotta system, including an unofficial Cal Poly transcript, academic recommendation from an academic advisor or instructor
- On-campus interview is required
Students arrange their own housing prior to departure using information provided by the host university. Available housing options include dormitories and local apartments.
Students can be placed for a single term up to a full academic yearlong exchange. NSE schools include both semester-based and quarter-based calendars.
To review the program dates, see the NSE member campus profiles at NSE website
Special Events/Planned Activities
You will find many opportunities to join clubs, play sports and get involved in extracurricular activities. Some of the NSE schools provide service-learning, internships, or community engagement opportunities. There often are events arranged by either the NSE Coordinator or another office at the host campus.